Use this versatile, complex sauce for dipping, barbeque, and as a ketchup substitute. The Elderberry Apple Shots add sweetness without refined sugar. Created by local chef Stan Shostak. Makes 4 cups of sauce. Keeps in an airtight container for 6 weeks in the refrigerator.
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 bottle Elderberry Apple Shots
- 1/4 cup Apple Ginger Turmeric Vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, or 4 cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder, or 3 tablespoons grated fresh
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup brown mustard
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- Salt to taste (I added 3 teaspoons)
Blend the tomato paste and the crushed tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend or stir to mix well. I recommend simmering this sauce in a saucepan to reduce a bit of the liquid and thicken it up.