Easy Elderberry Energy Bites
Makes 18 – 24 bites
A gluten free, dairy free recipe (with a vegan option)
You'll be on a roll each morning once you have a couple of these nutritious bites made with whole ingredients and sweetened to perfection with Elderberry Apple Shots. Make the mixture before you go to bed and your morning prep is a snap. (Take some in for lunch, too!)
1/3 Cup Elderberry Apple Shots
1/2 Cup nut butter
1/4 Cup pecans
1/3 Cup dried fruit or berries
1/4 Cup raw honey (or maple syrup for vegan)*
1 1/2 Cups gluten free muesli cereal
1/2 Cup unsweetened, flaked coconut, plus extra for coating
1 Tablespoon chia or sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pour the Elderberry Apple Shots into a food processor or blender. Add the nut butter, pecans and dried fruit, and blend until well combined. Scrape mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the honey, the muesli, pecans, cranberries, 1/2 Cup of the coconut, the seeds, and the salt to the bowl. *Option: use the food processor for this step, too. It will save washing a bowl, but the mixture will look less defined.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Roll the mixture into balls one Tablespoon at a time. Place the remaining coconut on a plate and roll the balls into the coconut to coat (optional).
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate.
The energy bites will keep for five days in the refrigerator.
*You can substitute maple or coconut sugar for the honey, but increase nut butter to 3/4 Cup.